Hockey Talk  

Go Back   Hockey Talk > Equipment Questions & Reviews > Protective > Ice Pants
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Pant & Helmet

Hey guys,

I'm looking to complete my equipment set shortly. With the hopeful purchase of TBLs Vector 6 shoulders, I am left needing pants and a helmet.

Pants: I've been looking at the CCM 892LE Super Tacks and 692LE Tacks. I was just wondering if it is worth spending the extra $$ for the 892 as opposed to the 692. I'm basically looking to get into open hockey to begin, so I can get used to the equipment, and playing on ice as opposed to concrete. I may or may not get into a league, depends on how everything goes. But at this point I'm just looking to have some fun and not really be competetive. Also, given my location, getting out to actually play is a slight challenge. I'll probably only be able to get out once or twice a week.

Helmet: I'm pretty open to opinions here. The only helmet I've really tried was a RBK 6k, and I'll say it felt pretty awesome.

As far as money goes, I really don't want to go over $100 for either item, and I'm figuring on around $50 on a shield for the helmet. So the CCM 892LE Super Tack and the RBK 6k helmet are probably as high end as I want to go. And I do need an XXL pant, and large helmet, just to keep in mind.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:20 AM

I'm also curious. What is the fit of Tackla pants like?

The Tackla Air 9000 (lots of sizing options) and CCM Vector helmet also look like a possible combo.

Last edited by jsswish : 12-31-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:36 AM

I had the 692 LE pants... sooo bulky, the 892 is even bulkier. Unless you need something bulletproof, I'd look elseware. Mission and Easton have very good protective gear and you'll find good deals on them, especially mission.

As far as helmet, anything mid to high level is fine. Get what fits best, if the RBK feels good, get it. Take a look at the 4k too, still protective enough but offers a different type of foam.

and that due to a nuclear accident I may have more than 40 pairs of hands...

Trying something new: Join me on Twitter, TBLfan37. You can also find me on AIM via the same name.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:40 PM

any info on the Mission Fuel 90, 110, or 120? Such as what the best deal could be. And does anybody know how the mission sizing is?

Any opinions on the Tackla pants?
Old 12-31-2007, 07:43 PM

N/B supreme line is extremley mobile. I have 70 pants that only cost 99.99 in stores, and you could get them cheaper online to keep them in the budget. Very mobile, good enough protection. Like TBL sais unless your playing on an outdoor rink in compton, you should be pretty well protected.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 PM

if you got the money try the 9K pant
Old 12-31-2007, 08:45 PM

the 9k is just as immobile as the tacks line, at least thats what i found when i tried them on
Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 PM

Takla is a great pant 9k is a great pant bauer 70 is a great pant if your playing drop in you do not need a nhl level pant get a med level pant from anyone break them in and youll have it, I palyed comp travel aa hockey for 3 years and always ended up cutting padding out for mobility invest in a great compression short and jock combo not pro stock ccm or 9k pants
Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 PM

thanks for all the opinions guys, but keep in mind I need something available in a XXL. I wear 40/42 pant size so, that was why I asked about the Tackla pants, since they have a ton of size options.

and like I said, I want to keep the combo under $200. So I could spend $120-140 (Tackla 9000) on pants, then leave $80 or so open for the helmet.

Also, mission has XXL available, anybody know what their sizing is like?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:43 PM

not familiar with mission but the tacklas run small