Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > Ice Hockey Skates
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 10th, 2013, 01:54 PM

Default Bauer Supreme Totalone's advise?

Being in the UK, top line skates are pretty hard to come by. Especially if you want to try them on first. So this is really a cry for advise to be honest...

I currently have a pair of Easton EQ50's (size 9EE). They're ok, but theres a few things that are niggling me. Long story short, I'm in the market for new skates.

I'm looking to pick up a pair of Bauer Supreme Totalone NXG's. I tried a pair on along with various others, a couple of years back, but at the time they were out of my price range and I was strapped for time. I just wanted to confirm a few things with anyone out there who has a pair?

Size wise they fit like the Easton's, at least length wise - so I'd be a size 9 in the Bauers too?
Is the width simular to Easton's?
How much difference width wise are the D's to the EE's? (as I think I really fall between the two)
They have a slightly lower (or flatter) arch?

Any help at all would be really appreciated
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:43 PM

the bauer supreme line is an interesting fit. I would never suggest you buy without trying them on. For example I wear a 9D vapor and an 8D supreme. Also the toe cap is large so you man not need a EE but again it depends on your foot shape.
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:17 AM

yeah. sure is one of the cons of living in the UK

how about the arch? I think i remember them being slightly flatter and less of an aggressive stance, but cant really remember
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yep, you are correct in that the Easton EQ50 holds your foot in more of an aggressive stance than the NXG. The size of the skate should be the same.
Is there any way that you could try on a lower end Bauer Supreme skate to get a feel for the skate line?
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:08 PM

Possibly. My local rink holds few Bauer models, so I could have a look.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:16 AM

Pfft.
Went to my local store and asked them what they had in. Which was met by; "do you intend to buy them, because we dont let people try them on if not."
Nice.

Anyway, tried all that they had - the Vapor 3.0 (9 EE) and the Supreme One 6 (9 EE).

The fit on the Vapor's was ok. I know they're a bit narrow but the EE was nice and not too snug. The Supreme's felt ok but a bit wide, so I reckon the D would be more suited.
Which leads me to one last question... No two...

How to the lower end models fend up to the NXG's/APX's?
How much more narrow are the Supreme's D's to EE's? (anyone got the insoles to measure?)

cheers guys
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

-When you're wondering about how they fend up... do you mean in terms of fit and comfort or in terms of performance?
-Typically the difference between D's and EE's are 3/16 of an inch or .476 cm.
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:39 PM

cheers chris.

Yeah, just fit and comfort really. when i tried the Vapor 3.0 they just felt incredibly flimsy. i could bend the tendon guard back about 90 degrees. Haha.
Naturally, they're gonna be inferior to the APX's but i just wondered if they differed fit wise.
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:16 PM

I've had a pair of converted x40 in a D width for a while now and do need a change, the worst pain I've had with them was:
Poor heel lock
Poor forward flexion
Too narrow toe cap

I'm also in Europe nowadays and will try to try the fit of the supreme line. I've also had ccm U+ pro Reloaded in D width, and I found that the heel lock was also lacking, and that the outside of my foot was often in pain.

I loved the toe cap though.

I think I should have a pair of easton, as they seem to be the only one around to have both the V shape foot and a rounded toe cap, but good boot stiffness and responsiveness is also what I'm looking for.
thank you, any help will be appreciated
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomRider View Post
cheers chris.

Yeah, just fit and comfort really. when i tried the Vapor 3.0 they just felt incredibly flimsy. i could bend the tendon guard back about 90 degrees. Haha.
Naturally, they're gonna be inferior to the APX's but i just wondered if they differed fit wise.
The APX's will be stiffer in construction (you shouldn't be able to bend the tendon guard back) and definitely will have an improvement in comfort. The general fit (narrowness) should be the same.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by romdj View Post
I've had a pair of converted x40 in a D width for a while now and do need a change, the worst pain I've had with them was:
Poor heel lock
Poor forward flexion
Too narrow toe cap

I'm also in Europe nowadays and will try to try the fit of the supreme line. I've also had ccm U+ pro Reloaded in D width, and I found that the heel lock was also lacking, and that the outside of my foot was often in pain.

I loved the toe cap though.

I think I should have a pair of easton, as they seem to be the only one around to have both the V shape foot and a rounded toe cap, but good boot stiffness and responsiveness is also what I'm looking for.
thank you, any help will be appreciated
Yep, it sounds like the fit is wrong. I would recommend trying out the Bauer Supreme Line although it doesn't have as good of a heel lock as the vapor line. You want to make sure that you don't purchase skates that are too big for your feet because that will cause the heel lock to not work properly. They should be snug and the toes should touch the end of the skate (touch, not press).