Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > Ice Hockey Skates
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default NEW Easton Mako Skates

Check out the NEW Easton Mako Skate!! What do you think?
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to beekaybee555

what do I think....graphics are a little messy..I like a nice clean skate and the price is pretty high...I would gladly demo a pair for 2 weeks and REALLY give a detailed evaluation...I already wear Eastons so it might just be a lateral move.....I like the pitch on them though and the quick cornering and stopping on the video.......I have read and seen alot on the MLX skates and this could be a great combo with Easton.......
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:17 PM

Is it forward pitched like Graf skates ? I got really used to this pitch and like it.

The skates look great. If only I had the cash and needed skates...
Old March 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM

here is a YouTube video i saw which was very thorough and alot of info.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoHACjxDJNE
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:36 PM

Wow ! Very in-depth video. I would totally get these if I could. Forward pitch and nice looking. It is pretty much everything I want in a skate.
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:26 PM

Ok...so i broke down and got a pair of these skates....300 dollars less than retail so I got a break there....I already have been skating on Synergy 1500 skates for the past 6 years so this was really a lateral move for me...I baked them and took to the ice 4 times so far...initial observations were, they fit perfectly....NO hot spots or pressure points ANYWHERE.....they turn on a dime...the forward pitch causes you to change your balancing while stopping but after 4 skates, it is as normal as regular skates........you really have to get out over the top of these (lean forward) to get the full benefit of the pitch......the lowered tendon guard allows more flexibilty in the foot but it is hard to tell if there is that much of a difference because of it...it really would have to be tried side to side to see the benefits of this feature...maybe do like an obstacle course with and without makos......my original post downplayed the graphics but they are better when you see them in your hands.......i think a few more sessions with these and they will feel as good and perform a little better one I get all the balance issues etc......overall, they are a great skate but compared to my 1500, the $400-500 difference for the skates ( what I can buy my 1500's for now) is NOT worth the extra money.....if money is no object, then jump all over these but if it IS an issue, wait a few years for the price to come down, Easton works out all the possible quality control issues (if there are any) and see how durable they are after a full season etc......any other questions just ask
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:47 AM

follow up on Mako skates after skating for 4 months on them....they are still super comfortable and no signs of break down....I do notice the fuzz coming off on the inside of the tongue where my shin guards rub on them but no other signs of breakdown.......I do notice I can turn really sharp with the pitch and angle of the runners.....if you lean way over them you can really dig in and push off hard.....I don't think they are as protective in the toe area as my other synergy skates so if you play defense and block shots, be careful of the toe and lower foot area.....it would be interesting to go back and try to see how my synergy skates feel now and get to see how the pitch and lower tendon guard feel on the Mako compared to the 1500's......I still think the 800 dollar price tag is way out of line but that is ball park prices for all new high end skates
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:40 PM

Default review of Mako skate after 8 months

OK, so I have skated on my Makos for 8 months now and couldn't be happier with the performance....they feel great on my feet and have since I tried them on after baking.......there are no breakdowns in the boot and aside from the fuzz on the inside wearing a little, the skate looks almost brand new,.......the only drawback is the protection factor that happened a few times while playing defense and blocking shots or passes with my feet...most notably the inside of the foot or toe area.....as with most skates, you will feel these things but for a one piece boot, it should not hurt as much......my synergy 1500's are way more protective in that area but because the cornering is better and the push off, I have to go with the one drawback of the Mako......although the prices are still pretty high, if you can snag a pair for 500 or less, you will get a top of the line skate that shouldn't disappoint...even if you got them used, they still should have lots of life left in them
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Default mako follow up

so it is 10 months on the Makos and these skates are working like a champ...I got the guards that go over the skate and that solved the protection issue...the boots still look great and all is holding up well......I don't see anybody else wearing these but that's because price is holding them back......performance wise, I cannot believe that any skate is better but probably equal...I am a loyal Easton skate guy and these did nOT disappoint me........
Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:17 PM

so it is 17 months since I got my Makos and I finally have an issue...the toe cracked at the bottom, right where the holder and toe meet at the boot.....it was either from a shot or my skate blade hitting the boards.....I have skated 3 times with the crack with no difference in performance...I shined a light through the foot opening and no light came out of the toe...I don't know if it is a cap over the toe or what but so far they a re OK...it is just disappointing that a 500+dollar skate had issues at 1.5 yrs....I looked at Easton warranty and boots are only warranteed for 90 days...the blade holder and blade are 1 year...not much of a big deal ......I will still wear the skates til they fall apart and may even try some tuff toe to keep snow out of opening....anybody else have any issues with their Makos????
Old September 27th, 2014, 02:53 AM

Default easton mako skates

....so after crying to Easton in an email they sent me an RA# and I sent my skates back to get a NEW pair of skates...talk about great customer relations...how many skate companies back their products so well.....In the mean time I had another pair of Makos for back ups and they did not miss a beat....I tell you, these skates fit so well after a bake and performance is equal to my other Makos........I have no complaints with these skates other than needing to wear skate guards to protect my tops of my feet.......great skate in my book
Old December 19th, 2016, 04:06 PM

ok....another follow up on Mako skates....the 2nd pair I got for replaced pair finally broke down April 2016....there was a crack right where the seam is by the silver and black on the outside of the boot come together......the boot basically broke right where the piece goes over the 2 colored pieces.....if this is a 1 piece boot, then it was hard to tell....anyway, I had a new pair and got right on them that day because of a tourney...I literally fell on my face the first shift because they were a lot stiffer than my worn-in boots.... but 3 shifts later , I was back to normal......I goes to show how easily they break in for me and how comfortable they feel.....I have picked up a few more pairs for cheap and even got a pair of Mako 2's for a good deal too because I like the skates so much.....not everybody likes these skates but if you like them, stock up on them for years of good hockey at a good price for discounted pricing......they obviously won't last forever but you should get a good 2 to 3 years out of them