Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > General Equipment Advice
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 14th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Default Anti lace bite skate?

I like to tighten my skates really tight so one of the most important features i look for is the tongue and ankle support area. I'm not familiar with any of the new skates and I dont have a LHS nearby that carries inlines. Are there any skates out right now or maybe a previous model that has a solid tongue and ankle support so I dont get lace bite?

My last skates were Mission Assassin SE's and they gave me BAD lace bite and the top of the boot digs into the side of my leg. My Mission HE9500's before those were much more comfortable and the tongue was solid so i didnt get lace bite.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM

I don't play roller hockey but try the reebok 7k, 9k or 11k skates, they have lace bite guards on them and are made of thick felt
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haole View Post
I like to tighten my skates really tight so one of the most important features i look for is the tongue and ankle support area. I'm not familiar with any of the new skates and I dont have a LHS nearby that carries inlines. Are there any skates out right now or maybe a previous model that has a solid tongue and ankle support so I dont get lace bite?

My last skates were Mission Assassin SE's and they gave me BAD lace bite and the top of the boot digs into the side of my leg. My Mission HE9500's before those were much more comfortable and the tongue was solid so i didnt get lace bite.
good tongue helps but the main thing is finding a skate that fits you volume wise. too shallow or too deep and you are prone to lace bite.
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey7kd View Post
I don't play roller hockey but try the reebok 7k, 9k or 11k skates, they have lace bite guards on them and are made of thick felt
I saw Reebok has some type of lace bite tongue but my LHS doesnt carry Reebok. Tours seemed to have decent lace bite protection but its hard to tell without being able to wear them...thats why I'd like to hear from people that own the skates and wear them like i do (laced up tight and skate hard).
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty shackleford View Post
good tongue helps but the main thing is finding a skate that fits you volume wise. too shallow or too deep and you are prone to lace bite.
what rusty said is correct. If you are getting lace bite from skates, that means the skates you are buying aren't deep enough for you.
Where are you getting lace bite?
A better option is to buy a lace bite pad that attaches to the tongue. Maltese makes a great one as well as AR and elite.
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-axis View Post
what rusty said is correct. If you are getting lace bite from skates, that means the skates you are buying aren't deep enough for you.
Where are you getting lace bite?
A better option is to buy a lace bite pad that attaches to the tongue. Maltese makes a great one as well as AR and elite.
When you say "deep" are you talking about how tall the boot is? I do feel like this is the problem, like the ankle support is too low and the tongue is too thin (pretty much just a just felt tongue).

In my Mission Assassins I get lace bite right at the top lace and the top of the boot digs into the side of my leg.

Do you know of a deeper fitting boot?
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:52 AM

Yes. A common thing people try is the pencil test. You run a pencil across the top of your skates. If the pencil hits your foot and no longer touches both eyelets then it is not deep enough.
Another thing worth try is changing the lacing pattern of your skates by going outside in as opposed to lacing from the inside out.
I'm not familiar with inline boots because I play ice. I am in the middle of converting my grafs to inline but I have a very narrow and shallow foot.
IW does a great job describing the volume of each skate if you read through their specs. They also have a really great return policy.
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:10 AM

IW's fit guidelines are pretty much the same for every skate and brand "medium to high volume...traditional stance".

I'm going to try lacing up differently like you said...that would be awesome if such a simple thing fixes the problem.

I think for my next skates im just going to order a little bigger size, especially if I go with mission again because their toecaps are so narrow and I dont mind a little room in the toe area as long as the skate feels good around my ankles.

thanks for the suggestions