Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > Sticks
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I have a friend that is 6'1 and uses a 63" stick, I have another friend that is 5'10 and uses a 60" stick. Another friend is 5'9 and uses a 55.5" stick. I'm 6'1 and use a 57-59" stick, depending on lie.

It's all personal preference.
Sorry to bump an old thread but as a newb here i'm reading through a bunch of old threads...

I am surprised by the length of sticks used by a lot of people on the board...It certainly is personal preference but I just really shocked by how long most people' sticks are. Not sure if it's the coaching I had growing up or what but I've played with my stick length between my sternum (sp?) and collarbone my whole life. Even after not playing for quite a few years and getting back into it this winter i'm playing a stick that is about 51" (i'm 6'1") and my stickhandling and shot feel just like they did back in the day when I played a good level of hockey...

Last edited by flogpro2252 : February 25th, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flogpro2252 View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread but as a newb here i'm reading through a bunch of old threads...

I am surprised by the length of sticks used by a lot of people on the board...It certainly is personal preference but I just really shocked by how long most people' sticks are. Not sure if it's the coaching I had growing up or what but I've played with my stick length between my sternum (sp?) and collarbone my whole life. Even after not playing for quite a few years and getting back into it this winter i'm playing a stick that is about 51" and my stickhandling and shot feel just like they did back in the day when I played a good level of hockey...
You didn't say how tall you are.

Between sternum and collarbone is really short, especially if you're not on skates. But if you can do everything you want to do, and it works for you . . .
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
You didn't say how tall you are.

Between sternum and collarbone is really short, especially if you're not on skates. But if you can do everything you want to do, and it works for you . . .
I know, I just realized that and edited my post. I'm 6'1" and I measure my stick with skates on (sorry for no clarification there).

I just find it interesting is all, like anything else, it's all about how you feel and perform with you chosen length...For me, I always felt like I could handle the puck better and could use my body to shield the puck better when it was closer to my body.
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM

My dad use to be a pro and he always said stick should be betweem nose and chin while on skates. but he noticed that when mine was like that the way i puck handled and skates so low it was too long. so i use it about right inbtween the collarbone. all preference.

Follow me on twitter @Senju_C
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:00 PM

Nothing wrong with this. it all depends on your skate style and where you hold your hands. A guy I know who played pro ice / inline (captained / coached national teams for many years) plays with a stick about the same length. He always played forward, never hits slap shots but can puck handle with the best and his wrist shots are one of the deadliest I've ever seen. The shorter the stick, the easy it is to puck handle (forward) - the longer the stick the better to poke check (defender). The accepted norm is around chin level when on skates but if you want to use something shorter and are comfortable with that then stick with it.
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM

Did you actually measure your stick? A 51" stick would come a lot lower on me than "inbetween my sternum and collarbone." Like I've said in other threads before, my 57" stick comes to my clavicle(collarbone) on skates... and we're both 6'1. You either have a longer stick than you think or you have a REALLY long neck.

and that due to a nuclear accident I may have more than 40 pairs of hands...

Trying something new: Join me on Twitter, TBLfan37. You can also find me on AIM via the same name.
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:18 AM

I'm 5' 10" and my Defensive/PK sticks are 59-61" both RH/LH

I like the extra long reach and I tend to be more of a playmaker so a shorter stick wouldn't work for me.

Although when I play forward I use a 55" LH.
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I have a friend that is 6'1 and uses a 63" stick, I have another friend that is 5'10 and uses a 60" stick. Another friend is 5'9 and uses a 55.5" stick. I'm 6'1 and use a 57-59" stick, depending on lie.

It's all personal preference.

I agree with TBLfan its all preference. Im 5"11 and my stick is 59.5 inches but I have a lie 4 blade and I stickhandle away from my body which is great for me similar to Marion Hossa if you like to stickhandle close to the body and was my height with the same stick then you wouldnt feel right and need to cut stick or go with a lie 6.
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxc999 View Post
I strongly disagree with that article for rec-league adults. The reason NHL players HAD to use shorter sticks was because they needed the puck closer to their bodies, for fear of major hits. Rec leagues don't have to worry about that. Furthermore, all the players in that article were pre-rule change players, pre-2004. More and more NHL'ers are going to longer sticks and lower lies. Super stick handler Pavel Datsyuk uses a stick to approximately his mouth, on skates. Vinny Lecavalier also uses a long stick. I can't even mention how many times I got pro stocks and was entirely surprised how long they were, even when the players listed height is 5'10-6'0. This is becoming a trend for good reason- a longer stick allows a greater radius of puck control, more powerful shots, better defense and face offs, etc.
Actually longer sticks make face-offs worse....
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton17 View Post
Actually longer sticks make face-offs worse....
It depends which technique you use

A smart man can come up with 1,000 reasons not to do a thing, but a wise man will come up with 10 reasons to do it.