Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > The Game of Hockey - Questions, Discussions & Leagues > Help Me! > How to...
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to garbuz Send a message via AIM to garbuz Send a message via MSN to garbuz
Default Any adult players doing off ice training?

Hey guys, is there anyone who is playing rec/adult league hockey and is doing some sort of off-ice workouts to stay in good skating shape? what are your workouts? how often do you train?
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:14 PM

I don't really do anything specifically for hockey, but my overall workout plan DOES benefit my skating/play. Typical gym rotation, one day chest/back, one day legs/arms and one day shoulders. Usually incorporate some sort of core training (abs, lower back) at least two of the days, and ALWAYS do stretching before and after. As it is, I've been skating twice a week so that, as well as mountain biking, has been my cardio. I do have a wonky shoulder which is why they get their own day for the most part.
My plan has been antagonist sets/supersets, meaning if it's chest day, I do as follows:
1 set bench @50%
1 set rows @ 75%
1 set bench @ 75%
1 set rows @ 75%
1 set bench @ max
1 set rows @ 75%

I'll do this for each exercise (forward/rear flies, incline bench/bent-over dumbbell rows, etc). Some days I'll work the main group to max then back down to 50% with reps to failure. Legs are really the only group that I don't alternate all the time. I like to focus on hammering each group and moving on to the next.

I've used this plan on and off for years and have found that it is great for breaking plateaus and building strength. As with any routine, your results may/will vary.

As for stretching, I do the groups I'll work after a short warm-up. Afterward, I'll do more total-body stretching including some yoga poses as well as some I've seen from Tae Kwon Do vids on youtube. As balance is a need for both hockey and mountain biking, I like to do stretches/poses that focus on helping balance.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 01:12 PM

Whilst gym work is good, all off ice camps are doing a lot of work with the green biscuit (buy it from IW). I'd recommend you get some soft sided inline skates (take the brake off), hard wheels, green biscuit and an abs blade on an old shaft. Get down to your local park / carpark etc. If you haven't roller skated before, it will take a while to get used to it but it will help your ice play and keep you in shape.
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to beekaybee555

we skate all year round at our rink in syracuse...whether it is 20 degrees and snowing or 85 degrees and sunny......keeps us in shape all year round
Old December 29th, 2013, 04:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to garbuz Send a message via AIM to garbuz Send a message via MSN to garbuz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YBKwLaUB8

Just a little video from my leg workout. Typically do this kind of workout (heavy lifting in gym) 2 times a year in between the leagues while the rest of the year do P90X/P90X2/Insanity at home.

Have you guys tried them?