Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > The Game of Hockey - Questions, Discussions & Leagues > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Default Chara Hit on Pacioretty

Surprised no one posted anything up yet on this. Just curious what everyone's take is on this and the NHL's decision to not suspend or fine Chara and on the hit itself.

I'm still on the fence about it. I'm impartial to both teams and actually like Chara as a player. However watching the hit several times and seeing the screen shot and reading into Charas body language, I think it warranted some sort of disciplinary action.

Let's hear some thoughts! Play nice people!

Last edited by Shaunj13 : March 9th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunj13 View Post
Surprised no one posted anything up yet on this. Just curious what everyone's take is on this and the NHL's decision to not suspend or fine Chara and on the hit itself.

I'm still on the fence about it. I'm impartial to both teams and actually like Chara as a player. However watching the hit several times and seeing the screen shot and reading into Charas body language, I think it warranted some sort of disciplinary action.

Let's hear some thoughts! Play nice people!
I think he should have been suspended, when you watch the video, the play was two or three seconds past Chara, that's enough time to bump the guy and turn away, yet he clobbers him into the board and glass... I don't know. The NHL obviously sees something I don't. Were it me, not really caring for either team mind you, I would have suspended him for two-four games... maybe more.

If the NHL really wanted to send a message about dangerous hits, suspensions would be longer than 2, 4, or 8 games... A hit to the Head should warrant 10-15 games, intentional hit to the head 15-25, and so on, player obviously aren't learning if dangerous plays are still happening, granted, it is a dangerous, fast, physical sport, but the player need to learn to be smart with their hits.
Gloves: Anisimov NYR Bauer XXXX's
Pants: Warrior Pro Stock Hustlers Isles "Sutton"
Shins: CCM V08
Skates: MLX
Sticks: Bauer X:60
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM

I also believe he should be suspended. Aside from the play being 2 or 3 seconds past, its hard not to believe Chara didnt realize the "turnbuckle" wasnt there. He should have been more aware of his surroundings. A careless act.
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM

I don't see the hit as necessary, but I don't see it as necessarily warranting disciplinary action either. Did Chara HAVE to hit him? no. But was it a dirty hit, other than being a bit late? no. Chara is a big guy, every hit he makes is gonna be hard, so I don't think you can say that there was any intent. Hockey is a fast sport as I am sure we all know, and you can't always be aware of every part of your surroundings at all times. Do I think the hit was necessary? not really. but does it warrant further action? I personally don't think so.
elbow pads:Nikebauer one90
pants:Nikebauer Vapor XXXX
shin guards:RBK 10k
skates:Easton S17
gloves: pro stock X:60/Eagle X:70 camo
sticks:Custom Totalone, pro stock S19 w/o elliptical taper (2), Mission Ti-Pro, TPS R10 2009 model (2) and a bunch of other random sticks
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:21 AM

Players know where the turnbuckle is and they know where they are on the ice.
Chara knew who was hitting.

Facts:
1. The score was 4-0,
2. Chara has had it in for Pacio since January when he pushed him on the back after scoring the game winner. Since that incident, Chara has been chasing after Pacio every chance he gets. The game before Hal Gill had to intervene.
3. The puck was 50' away and Chara was getting beaten to it. He saw his chance to get even and took it.
4. Why was Lucic looking for Pouliot at the end of the game? Same reason, REVENGE. Pouliot surprisingly gave Krecji a boxing lesson the game before

If Pacio doesn't get injured, that cheap hit would be shown in Boston before every game. There's something terribly wrong with how the NHL is sold in the US.
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:16 AM

I think it was definitly intentional, did he want to smash him off the turnbuckle? i dont know, Did he want to feel like a tough guy hitting him way after the puck was even close? definitly. And though he may have not wanted him to hit his face off the turnbuckle but it just goes to show nothing good comes of trying to get a dirty hit in when noone is looking. I personaly think chara is a big goon that has a hard shot and truly will never win a fight streight up and the only reason he is in the NHL is because he is huge.
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezizzle95 View Post
I think it was definitly intentional, did he want to smash him off the turnbuckle? i dont know, Did he want to feel like a tough guy hitting him way after the puck was even close? definitly. And though he may have not wanted him to hit his face off the turnbuckle but it just goes to show nothing good comes of trying to get a dirty hit in when noone is looking. I personaly think chara is a big goon that has a hard shot and truly will never win a fight streight up and the only reason he is in the NHL is because he is huge.
It takes more than being huge to win the Norris trophy.
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:49 AM

i totaly agree with you there. I think he has a wicked accurate shot. BUT i think the reason he got a second look is because of his size. And i know boston wants him to rough people up which leads to him hurting people because of his SIZE. Its almost like he doesnt know his own power and he's just clobbering people. And i think boston should show him how to hit clean
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:54 PM

It is INSANELY ridiculous that Montreal Police are investigating the hit. It's hockey, not a crime scene.
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
There is no number 1 defensemen in the league that will try to fight regularly................because they have to spend 25 minutes or more on the ice every game.

I hope you're not serious

Quote:
i totaly agree with you there. I think he has a wicked accurate shot. BUT i think the reason he got a second look is because of his size. And i know boston wants him to rough people up which leads to him hurting people because of his SIZE. Its almost like he doesnt know his own power and he's just clobbering people. And i think boston should show him how to hit clean
This isn't a normal occurrence with him, so there's no need to. He could take people's heads off on a regular basis if he felt like it. I think his clean record is worth something.

Chris Neil and Spezza have both said they don't believe it was intentional fwiw.

The NHL game is extremely fast paced so it's not fair for those who haven't experienced that level of play to criticize split second decisions.........that being said Chara should have gotten 2-5 games IMO
After a narrow victory in 1994, Boston Bruins defenseman Al Iafrate was asked why, in the closing moments of the game, he had fired the puck around the boards rather than into the empty net. His reply? "Empty-net goals are for faggots."
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM

I am def not on board with a police investigation. I am also not on board with the suspension handed out to Kubina after giving Chara nothing. Don't get me wrong Kubinas hit was an elbow to the head, but wasn't it Collin Campbell who said players have to be responsible for the consequences of their actions? ie: the Ovi hit on Campbell last year, not a terribly bad hit but a bad outcome. He got 2 games. Why not give Chara 2-5 for forcing someones head into the stanchion.

I know the game is played at a very fast pace and I have never played at that level, but I have played hockey for a long time and I'm very aware of my surroundings. I think a lot of players become more aware when they are along the bench because of the potential for injury. For Chara to say he didn't know is BS, he skated the length of his teams bench. He knew exactly where he was and its why he did what he did. Did he want to break his neck? NO. did he want to ring his bell? I think so. You can't tell me that a guy who's spent 13 years in the NHL and a lot of time in that arena didn't know the stanchion was there.
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunj13 View Post
I am def not on board with a police investigation. I am also not on board with the suspension handed out to Kubina after giving Chara nothing. Don't get me wrong Kubinas hit was an elbow to the head, but wasn't it Collin Campbell who said players have to be responsible for the consequences of their actions? ie: the Ovi hit on Campbell last year, not a terribly bad hit but a bad outcome. He got 2 games. Why not give Chara 2-5 for forcing someones head into the stanchion.

I know the game is played at a very fast pace and I have never played at that level, but I have played hockey for a long time and I'm very aware of my surroundings. I think a lot of players become more aware when they are along the bench because of the potential for injury. For Chara to say he didn't know is BS, he skated the length of his teams bench. He knew exactly where he was and its why he did what he did. Did he want to break his neck? NO. did he want to ring his bell? I think so. You can't tell me that a guy who's spent 13 years in the NHL and a lot of time in that arena didn't know the stanchion was there.

Being aware of your surroundings is alot easier at a lower level of hockey.

Good post from a habs blog

http://www.ladyloveshockey.com/2011/...rshadowed-win/
After a narrow victory in 1994, Boston Bruins defenseman Al Iafrate was asked why, in the closing moments of the game, he had fired the puck around the boards rather than into the empty net. His reply? "Empty-net goals are for faggots."
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:07 AM

Default My 2 cents:

1. One of the best ways to determine if an act in sports is so bad, illegal, heinous, disgusting, morally rehensible, etc etc etc, is to put the shoe on the other foot and see if the outrage would be the same.

So, if Paccoretti took Chara into the turnbuckle like this, would there be the same outrage? The same police investigation? The same threats of sponsorship withdrawal? Personally, I doubt it. This happened in Montreal, where there is a hyperfocus on their players and homerism that is unparallelled, save from Toronto. To me, while this act was horrible, it is a classic case of an unfortunate hockey act, done under the microscope of a rabid hockey market, with the media feeding on this like a shark frenzy.

2. As an Avalanche homer, I distinctly remember this nice little hit. If you can't click on it, it's basically Jack Johnson of LA gooning out Ryan Smyth of the Avalanche into the turnbuckle at the blueline. No outrage here. No threats of lawsuits, sponsorship or anything like that. If Smyth was injured bad, perhaps there would have been.

But this relates to point #1: if that same hit was on Phil Kessel and done in TO, there would have been a riot.

Chara's hit was unfortunate, but it had been blown out of proportion.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. " - F.Beckenbauer

If a 6'7, 300 pd, 32 year old man who's uncoordinated and flexible like rebar can learn and continue to play hockey, then so can anyone.
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM

How about Pacioretty hit on Isle's Eaton?????? Go watch girls soccer if you think Chars's hit had any intent. A foot earlier or a foot after that spot … nothing happens.
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM

If you don't want to watch a violent sport you shouldn't be a hockey fan. Injuries happen.
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:40 AM

Caps coach Boudreau hit it on the head … If Hall Gill did the same thing to David Krejci … there'd be no protest in Boston…
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:05 AM

And what is the history between Krejci and Gill exactly? AFAIK, Gill hasn't been chasing after anyone the past few games
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simnorm View Post
And what is the history between Krejci and Gill exactly? AFAIK, Gill hasn't been chasing after anyone the past few games
Because Gill is a large man with little hockey skill compared to Chara. And I thought that when he was with boston so don't say its because Chara plays for the Bruins.
Old March 17th, 2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
1. One of the best ways to determine if an act in sports is so bad, illegal, heinous, disgusting, morally rehensible, etc etc etc, is to put the shoe on the other foot and see if the outrage would be the same.

So, if Paccoretti took Chara into the turnbuckle like this, would there be the same outrage? The same police investigation? The same threats of sponsorship withdrawal? Personally, I doubt it. This happened in Montreal, where there is a hyperfocus on their players and homerism that is unparallelled, save from Toronto. To me, while this act was horrible, it is a classic case of an unfortunate hockey act, done under the microscope of a rabid hockey market, with the media feeding on this like a shark frenzy.

2. As an Avalanche homer, I distinctly remember this nice little hit. If you can't click on it, it's basically Jack Johnson of LA gooning out Ryan Smyth of the Avalanche into the turnbuckle at the blueline. No outrage here. No threats of lawsuits, sponsorship or anything like that. If Smyth was injured bad, perhaps there would have been.

But this relates to point #1: if that same hit was on Phil Kessel and done in TO, there would have been a riot.

Chara's hit was unfortunate, but it had been blown out of proportion.
Well worded Markopolo....

Not Chara's fault that Paccoretti pushed the puck past Chara and tried to go around him and jumped, then hit a post that shouldn't be sticking out like that. NHL players have been complaining about that post at the Molsen Center, including the Canadians.

Chara reacted like any NHL player would have, and at most it was a border line interference call at best. It wasn't a check, as much as a cutting down the angle on the player. The hit came from the post, not Chara.

The Montreal Diving Team is a bunch of dirty hockey players that chop and stick and slash behind the play, and then fall over if the wind blows in order to get a call. Every one knows it, and the NHL ref's refuse to do anything about it because its the Canadians.

Do I feel bad Paccoretti got hurt. Yes....... Is it part of the game. Yes. We all know that if this happened in any other rink we wouldn't even be talking about it.
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:39 AM

forget about chara. I think we should all form a mob and beat the piss out of Matt Cooke hahaha