Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > The Game of Hockey - Questions, Discussions & Leagues > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:17 AM
walrus7 walrus7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 96
Default Whats up with all the skateblade cuts?

Any thoughts on all the skate lacerations on players legs and ankles. This will be the next safety issue as far as equipment is concerned. Seems like the numbers are creeping up and not all the players are using the new protective socks, if any at all. These cuts are brutal,deep, and they take time to heal. Hate to see players out of the line-up during play-offs for these cuts. Dont know how bad Pominvilles is, but hope to see him back if Buffalo moves on. All I can get on it is undisclosed lower body injury, hmmmm.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
alyourpal's Avatar
alyourpal alyourpal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,330
Default

I was thinking the same thing why not just wear the kevlar socks
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Yetso Yetso is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 1,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyourpal View Post
I was thinking the same thing why not just wear the kevlar socks
Hockey players are notoriously superstitious... Maybe changing/adding sock will "Make them play badly" :rolleyes:
__________________
Helmet: CCM V08 w/ Oakley Aviator Visor
Shoulders: CCM V08
Elbows: CCM V10
Gloves: Anisimov NYR Bauer XXXX's
Pants: Warrior Pro Stock Hustlers Isles "Sutton"
Shins: CCM V08
Skates: MLX
Sticks: Bauer X:60
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:53 AM
walrus7 walrus7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 96
Default

Last night Scuderi got kicked in the head over his eye with a skate, but the only way he would have been protected is with a visor.hmmmm, not a bad time to put one on. I would take that as a kind of warning, or at least a close call. Guess he can think about it over the Summer, now that they got bounced.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Yetso Yetso is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 1,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus7 View Post
Last night Scuderi got kicked in the head over his eye with a skate, but the only way he would have been protected is with a visor.hmmmm, not a bad time to put one on. I would take that as a kind of warning, or at least a close call. Guess he can think about it over the Summer, now that they got bounced.
He was really REALLY lucky, Wallin's skate hit just below his eye, then again just above... If Scuderi doesn't wear a visor... he's kind of being a dumbass.
__________________
Helmet: CCM V08 w/ Oakley Aviator Visor
Shoulders: CCM V08
Elbows: CCM V10
Gloves: Anisimov NYR Bauer XXXX's
Pants: Warrior Pro Stock Hustlers Isles "Sutton"
Shins: CCM V08
Skates: MLX
Sticks: Bauer X:60
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:58 AM
OvieEatsPenguins OvieEatsPenguins is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 87
Default

Speaking to blade cuts, I got one this past season in my men's league. I was battling for a rebound, the Dman fell and his skate swung up and caught me just above the boot on the inside of my ankle, about 2-3 inches up from the ankle bone. It hurt like a MOFO, and gouged me pretty good. Took a chunk outta my sock and my skin. Since then I switched to the new Edge socks (not sure if that helps any?), got new shins that have the 'wraparound' calf pads/straps. Took about 3-4 weeks before the cut finally scarred up and didn't re-open and bleed while skating.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Markopolo's Avatar
Markopolo Markopolo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetso View Post
He was really REALLY lucky, Wallin's skate hit just below his eye, then again just above... If Scuderi doesn't wear a visor... he's kind of being a dumbass.
IMHO..... any professional hockey player who doesn't wear a visor is a dumbass.

It still shocks me that during the lockout, one of the pounds of flesh that the owners didn't take, was manditory/grandfathering visors into the game.
__________________
*******

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. " - F.Beckenbauer

If a 6'7, 300 pd, 32 year old man who's uncoordinated and flexible like rebar can learn and continue to play hockey, then so can anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Yetso Yetso is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 1,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
IMHO..... any professional hockey player who doesn't wear a visor is a dumbass.

It still shocks me that during the lockout, one of the pounds of flesh that the owners didn't take, was manditory/grandfathering visors into the game.
This is true, but more and more of the younger guys are coming up with visors and pretty soon there wont even need to be a rule.

Also, I don't think the Pro Small visors should really be made, ever... they hardly cover the eyes in most cases.
__________________
Helmet: CCM V08 w/ Oakley Aviator Visor
Shoulders: CCM V08
Elbows: CCM V10
Gloves: Anisimov NYR Bauer XXXX's
Pants: Warrior Pro Stock Hustlers Isles "Sutton"
Shins: CCM V08
Skates: MLX
Sticks: Bauer X:60
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Markopolo's Avatar
Markopolo Markopolo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetso View Post
This is true, but more and more of the younger guys are coming up with visors and pretty soon there wont even need to be a rule.

Also, I don't think the Pro Small visors should really be made, ever... they hardly cover the eyes in most cases.
I disagree.

I read a report somewhere (if I have time, I'll find it and link it) that a majority of young players are making the choice to remove their visor, as a show that they have made it to the NHL, akin to removing your training wheels when learning and knowing how to ride a bike.

Kids do dumb things when they become adults, I guess
__________________
*******

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. " - F.Beckenbauer

If a 6'7, 300 pd, 32 year old man who's uncoordinated and flexible like rebar can learn and continue to play hockey, then so can anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Yetso Yetso is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 1,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
I disagree.

I read a report somewhere (if I have time, I'll find it and link it) that a majority of young players are making the choice to remove their visor, as a show that they have made it to the NHL, akin to removing your training wheels when learning and knowing how to ride a bike.

Kids do dumb things when they become adults, I guess
I see your point, I've just been noticing more visors in the league, maybe its because I don't really dig into things all that much.

But yeah, Visors should be worn, no matter what age or skill level, unless you plan to drop the gloves every shift.
__________________
Helmet: CCM V08 w/ Oakley Aviator Visor
Shoulders: CCM V08
Elbows: CCM V10
Gloves: Anisimov NYR Bauer XXXX's
Pants: Warrior Pro Stock Hustlers Isles "Sutton"
Shins: CCM V08
Skates: MLX
Sticks: Bauer X:60
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Markopolo's Avatar
Markopolo Markopolo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetso View Post
I see your point, I've just been noticing more visors in the league, maybe its because I don't really dig into things all that much.

But yeah, Visors should be worn, no matter what age or skill level, unless you plan to drop the gloves every shift.
Simple way to solve that one too: adopt the international rule where if you fight, you're gone from the game.
__________________
*******

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. " - F.Beckenbauer

If a 6'7, 300 pd, 32 year old man who's uncoordinated and flexible like rebar can learn and continue to play hockey, then so can anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
daffodil1003 daffodil1003 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus7 View Post
Any thoughts on all the skate lacerations on players legs and ankles. This will be the next safety issue as far as equipment is concerned. Seems like the numbers are creeping up and not all the players are using the new protective socks, if any at all. These cuts are brutal,deep, and they take time to heal. Hate to see players out of the line-up during play-offs for these cuts. Dont know how bad Pominvilles is, but hope to see him back if Buffalo moves on. All I can get on it is undisclosed lower body injury, hmmmm.

I also think so.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.