Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > The Game of Hockey - Questions, Discussions & Leagues > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 25th, 2011, 10:17 AM

Default Whats up with all the skateblade cuts?

Any thoughts on all the skate lacerations on players legs and ankles. This will be the next safety issue as far as equipment is concerned. Seems like the numbers are creeping up and not all the players are using the new protective socks, if any at all. These cuts are brutal,deep, and they take time to heal. Hate to see players out of the line-up during play-offs for these cuts. Dont know how bad Pominvilles is, but hope to see him back if Buffalo moves on. All I can get on it is undisclosed lower body injury, hmmmm.
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing why not just wear the kevlar socks
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyourpal View Post
I was thinking the same thing why not just wear the kevlar socks
Hockey players are notoriously superstitious... Maybe changing/adding sock will "Make them play badly" :rolleyes:
Gloves: Anisimov NYR Bauer XXXX's
Pants: Warrior Pro Stock Hustlers Isles "Sutton"
Shins: CCM V08
Skates: MLX
Sticks: Bauer X:60
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Last night Scuderi got kicked in the head over his eye with a skate, but the only way he would have been protected is with a visor.hmmmm, not a bad time to put one on. I would take that as a kind of warning, or at least a close call. Guess he can think about it over the Summer, now that they got bounced.
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus7 View Post
Last night Scuderi got kicked in the head over his eye with a skate, but the only way he would have been protected is with a visor.hmmmm, not a bad time to put one on. I would take that as a kind of warning, or at least a close call. Guess he can think about it over the Summer, now that they got bounced.
He was really REALLY lucky, Wallin's skate hit just below his eye, then again just above... If Scuderi doesn't wear a visor... he's kind of being a dumbass.
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:58 AM

Speaking to blade cuts, I got one this past season in my men's league. I was battling for a rebound, the Dman fell and his skate swung up and caught me just above the boot on the inside of my ankle, about 2-3 inches up from the ankle bone. It hurt like a MOFO, and gouged me pretty good. Took a chunk outta my sock and my skin. Since then I switched to the new Edge socks (not sure if that helps any?), got new shins that have the 'wraparound' calf pads/straps. Took about 3-4 weeks before the cut finally scarred up and didn't re-open and bleed while skating.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetso View Post
He was really REALLY lucky, Wallin's skate hit just below his eye, then again just above... If Scuderi doesn't wear a visor... he's kind of being a dumbass.
IMHO..... any professional hockey player who doesn't wear a visor is a dumbass.

It still shocks me that during the lockout, one of the pounds of flesh that the owners didn't take, was manditory/grandfathering visors into the game.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. " - F.Beckenbauer

If a 6'7, 300 pd, 32 year old man who's uncoordinated and flexible like rebar can learn and continue to play hockey, then so can anyone.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
IMHO..... any professional hockey player who doesn't wear a visor is a dumbass.

It still shocks me that during the lockout, one of the pounds of flesh that the owners didn't take, was manditory/grandfathering visors into the game.
This is true, but more and more of the younger guys are coming up with visors and pretty soon there wont even need to be a rule.

Also, I don't think the Pro Small visors should really be made, ever... they hardly cover the eyes in most cases.
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
This is true, but more and more of the younger guys are coming up with visors and pretty soon there wont even need to be a rule.

Also, I don't think the Pro Small visors should really be made, ever... they hardly cover the eyes in most cases.
I disagree.

I read a report somewhere (if I have time, I'll find it and link it) that a majority of young players are making the choice to remove their visor, as a show that they have made it to the NHL, akin to removing your training wheels when learning and knowing how to ride a bike.

Kids do dumb things when they become adults, I guess

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. " - F.Beckenbauer

If a 6'7, 300 pd, 32 year old man who's uncoordinated and flexible like rebar can learn and continue to play hockey, then so can anyone.
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
I disagree.

I read a report somewhere (if I have time, I'll find it and link it) that a majority of young players are making the choice to remove their visor, as a show that they have made it to the NHL, akin to removing your training wheels when learning and knowing how to ride a bike.

Kids do dumb things when they become adults, I guess
I see your point, I've just been noticing more visors in the league, maybe its because I don't really dig into things all that much.

But yeah, Visors should be worn, no matter what age or skill level, unless you plan to drop the gloves every shift.
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I see your point, I've just been noticing more visors in the league, maybe its because I don't really dig into things all that much.

But yeah, Visors should be worn, no matter what age or skill level, unless you plan to drop the gloves every shift.
Simple way to solve that one too: adopt the international rule where if you fight, you're gone from the game.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus7 View Post
Any thoughts on all the skate lacerations on players legs and ankles. This will be the next safety issue as far as equipment is concerned. Seems like the numbers are creeping up and not all the players are using the new protective socks, if any at all. These cuts are brutal,deep, and they take time to heal. Hate to see players out of the line-up during play-offs for these cuts. Dont know how bad Pominvilles is, but hope to see him back if Buffalo moves on. All I can get on it is undisclosed lower body injury, hmmmm.

I also think so.