Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > Other Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 9th, 2008, 12:47 AM

Default Shinnies?

I'm looking to pick up a new pair of shin pads for ice in a week or two. I want something protective for ye olde puck but that won't inhibit mobility. Below $80 please...

A smart man can come up with 1,000 reasons not to do a thing, but a wise man will come up with 10 reasons to do it.
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:37 AM

do you were them tucked or over your tongues? I have always liked 6k's or higher end jofa rbk's in general if I wore them tucked I really like the vapor xxxx's or xxv's I tried the xxxx's on there supper comfy light and really not that bulky, good luck
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Al is correct. My opinion.....the RBK 6K is the best shin currently on the market. There is a distinct reason that Jofa protects most NHL players.

29 years.....still not a pro
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:47 PM

I want to buy a visor but I am trying to decide between Oakley or Itech. Which one would be the better buy?
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:19 PM

Default Nice hand sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPREEDIZZLE View Post
Al is correct. My opinion.....the RBK 6K is the best shin currently on the market. There is a distinct reason that Jofa protects most NHL players.
Thanks amigos. I think you've made up my mind for me... I'm going to be grabbing them when I start playing ice for next month.

A smart man can come up with 1,000 reasons not to do a thing, but a wise man will come up with 10 reasons to do it.
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM

unfortunately this is all i got

Old July 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyourpal View Post
facemask yes helmet no
Why should I only get the facemask? Isint it specially made for the 9500?
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Default Shoulder Pads

I'm looking around for new shoulder pads since the shoulder caps on my Jofa 410s are starting to crack. If you could give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm relatively small at 5' 6", 32" chest circumference. Based on IW's fitting guide, that translates into a junior large or senior small with overlap in between. Is there any difference between these two sizes if the chest measurement fits both? I.E. small senior pants with the same waist size as large junior pants are slightly longer. I tried some Jr. L NBH Supreme 30s but couldn't get my head through the neck; there weren't any senior smalls at the time to compare with.

My second question is whether higher-end shoulder pads are more flexible and conform to the body. I realize that I don't need the extra bulk and protection of a top shoulder pad for my non-checking beer league. The reason why I ask is that the Jofa 410s are a classic style shoulder pad (except with literally nothing on the back) and it sometimes digs into my stomach/ribs while skating. I have my eye on a pair of Easton S9s on Ebay and would like to hear your opinions of whether something like that or classic shoulder pads would be better.

Lastly, I would probably remove the bicep protection on the shoulder pads because it overlaps a good 4-5" over the bicep protection from my elbow pads. Can this be done with the classics? I couldn't do this with my current shoulder pads because the shoulder cup is integrated into the bicep protector.

Thank you for your advice in advance.
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The length from the shoulders to the ab protector will be longer in the adult small versus the youth size, the shoulder caps will be fuller, and there will be a larger opening for your head to poke through. I'd go with the adult small for sure for you.

29 years.....still not a pro
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelf26 View Post
Why should I only get the facemask? Isint it specially made for the 9500?
As long as you get the correct size, it will fit just about any helmet on the market. Just because a cage has the same name as a helmet, does not mean it only fits that specific helmet.
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM

I am looking for new shins,I want the most mobile I can get for under $60. I don't want any bulk what so ever
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy19 View Post
I am looking for new shins,I want the most mobile I can get for under $60. I don't want any bulk what so ever
then go with the cheapest shin guards. They tend to have the least amount of padding. I always recommend the cheap shins to roller hockey players since they do have less padding and therefore typically cooler.

"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week."
~Herb Brooks
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Okay,I was already looking at the XVI's so I will probably go for those
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:28 AM

I am in a simailr situation. I was looking at the XXV shins since I play roller. I have had my easton Z-Airs for the past 5 years but they are too bulky and since I have super skiny legs I need a tighter fitting shin guard. Any advice...
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by locohound11 View Post
I am in a simailr situation. I was looking at the XXV shins since I play roller. I have had my easton Z-Airs for the past 5 years but they are too bulky and since I have super skiny legs I need a tighter fitting shin guard. Any advice...
if you have skinny legs I would go with the NB XVI. In my opinion NB and Easton make some of the narrowest shins and you need to go with the cheapys to get rid of the bulk. In roller you don't need all the protection anyhow unless you play D against some really powerful shots.

"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week."
~Herb Brooks
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM

my hornets are splitting what wheels should i get now? im thinking revision variant platinums. any suggestions?
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Thanks IW. I appreciate the advice.

And Li. The revision wheels are some of the best I have had. Grip and speed are amazing. I did have some slight cracking on concrete surfaces but sport court was perfect.
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by liroadrunners View Post
my hornets are splitting what wheels should i get now? im thinking revision variant platinums. any suggestions?
You better be a pretty small guy. At 72A the platinum wheel is the softest one we carry. Heard good response on the varients though

~Herb Brooks
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:00 AM

yea i think im gunna go with the revisions. i think my only other option is the new hornets and why go back.
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by liroadrunners View Post
yea i think im gunna go with the revisions. i think my only other option is the new hornets and why go back.
because despite cracking hornets are some of the, if not the best wheels out there. You can try a higher durometer or start rotating more often

~Herb Brooks