Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > General Equipment Advice
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM

Just one question about using Febreeze or any other deodorizing sprays on equipment - does any of that stuff irritate your skin??
Old December 25th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

yea smashy it irritated me about the money order!!!!
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM

I found a couple of products that work absolutely great.
1. The volcanic deodorizer from Lee Valley Tools. I stuck one of these in each of my gloves and i noticed a difference in a couple of days. They come in one big one or two small ones. The first link is the big one the second is the two small ones.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,42194,40727
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,42194,40727

2. Shutout athletic spray.
http://www.shutoutsolutions.com/
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to BCdogs14 Send a message via Yahoo to BCdogs14

that volcanic stuff is the truth!

the science behind it is STAGGERING. the sachets of either pumice or activated carbon are your best bet for cutting down on the stankalicious factor.

and Febreze won't irritate your skin at all. the downside is that it also wont kill smells in the long term. if you feel like you just have GOT to spray something, either Lysol or the Bissell Disinfectant spray. The only way to kill smell? Kill bacteria.
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:45 PM

+1 on Lysol. Wipe down your gear, give every surface that touches your body a good spray, let the gear air dry, repeat after every time you play.

PS Do NOT spray the inside of your helmet w/ Lysol if you like your eyes.
Old December 29th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonemrvegas View Post
+1 on Lysol. Wipe down your gear, give every surface that touches your body a good spray, let the gear air dry, repeat after every time you play.

PS Do NOT spray the inside of your helmet w/ Lysol if you like your eyes.
hahaha I wonder how many people have actually done that!

I love the Odor Aid we sell, except I have tried it on any really stanky stuff yet but it keeps my new gear pretty much smell free.

Plus its a fine mist spray which helps.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage-ODAD.html

"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week."
~Herb Brooks
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Banned

i found this new stuff its called Bac Shield..
i got it at dunhams sports in a spray bottle...
works great!
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM

I bake it in the sun as well, then febreeze it. Do this for my skater and goalie stuff. Occasionally I wash it at the local laundromat because they have huge tumble wash and dry machines that don't rip at the threads as much as the other kind.(then febreeze and you'll be the best smelling hockey player out there :D)
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:23 PM

i just take everything out of my bag and let it air out on the patio for a couple of hours. Anything that still smells, i put in the washing machine on a quick wash. Lucky for me i play roller so i can put all my Under Armour, jersey, pants, gloves, shoulder pads and girdle in there.

http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=575726
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:55 PM

I always air out my stuff after use, but I use a few different things. If you have a chlorinated pool, you can throw your shin gaurds and some other gear in there for a little, then fish it out with the net and leave it outside to dry (it could take a day or 2). Problem is colors may fade a bit, but I don't care, they're under my socks or pants anyway. Obviously don't recommend this with everything.

Another method is to take an empty windex or a bigger spray bottle and wash it out pretty well. Get some rubbing alcohol (very cheap), fill the spray bottle about half way / two thirds, and fill the other half or a third with water. Spray your gear, especially the stuff that smells real bad (shin pads, gloves) after each use or every other use, works great for me. Biggest problem with this is it doesn't get all the way down in to the skates no matter how hard you try, there is always some smell there.

I've always found Febreeze makes my gear smell even worse than letting it sit alone, it just adds this weird smell to it, not a fan at all and I've tried it multiple times.

Hope this helps
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to MiroSatan81

I empty my bag after every game. I fold the bag inside out and spray a little febreeze on the bag. I wash my jerzees and socks after each game. once a month I wash the rest of the equipment at the laundromat in one of those big machines. I have a few bag balls too. My stuff doesnt smell all that bad.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM

2-3 cycles in my ShockDoctor Power Dry bag seems to work. It works well when my sons have practice on Saturday night, and a game on Sunday morning.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Default Cheap fix for that smell...

A friend recommended the following to me and it works really well, my equipment has remained odor friendly for quite some time now:

Mix equal parts (typically sold in 16 oz. bottles) of Isopropyl Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide. The Isopropyl Alcohol comes in scented if you prefer (I've found Citrus and Wintergreen locally), I like the scented myself.

I use an old cleaning product spray bottle (32 oz.) and mix the two 16 oz. bottles in it. It lasts for quite a while and is a very inexpensive way to not only keep your equipment from smelling, but also to kill the bacteria.

After a game when I get home I spray down my equipment (still wet from playing) and set it out to dry overnight. I'm pretty liberal with the spray and hit all sides of my equipment with it...works great!
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph_13 View Post
A friend recommended the following to me and it works really well, my equipment has remained odor friendly for quite some time now:

Mix equal parts (typically sold in 16 oz. bottles) of Isopropyl Alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide. The Isopropyl Alcohol comes in scented if you prefer (I've found Citrus and Wintergreen locally), I like the scented myself.

I use an old cleaning product spray bottle (32 oz.) and mix the two 16 oz. bottles in it. It lasts for quite a while and is a very inexpensive way to not only keep your equipment from smelling, but also to kill the bacteria.

After a game when I get home I spray down my equipment (still wet from playing) and set it out to dry overnight. I'm pretty liberal with the spray and hit all sides of my equipment with it...works great!
you should prob. wash that stuff off so it doesnt burn you
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Ya we had a goalie get light headed from chemicals he used to clean his chin cup

Be careful what you use and how muchz

I have an Easton Synergy SE for sale, used twice, 85 flex LH Forsberg. PM me if interested.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsdman13 View Post
Ya we had a goalie get light headed from chemicals he used to clean his chin cup

Be careful what you use and how muchz
Yea, thats why I use only rubbing alcohol and water (equal parts). Kills the bacteria/smell and no lasting effect
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Does the half Isopropyl Alcohol half water work for gloves too?
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexdaleBlues View Post
Does the half Isopropyl Alcohol half water work for gloves too?
for the most part... put on your glove and spread the fingers out as much as possible and spray between them... then spray into the gloves.
This works really well if you follow up with some like the shock doctor dryer and bag combo.
I will occassionally sprinkle fresh baking soda onto my hands and then put on the gloves. This smells funny the first time wearing it but once the sweat carrys the baking soda into the glove and it drys out it seems to work well.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to hockeyray

i use hand sanitizer before putting on my gloves. so far seems to work pretty well
Old November 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to hockeyray
Default Washing gear with my laundry?

Here's the deal. I'm out for three weeks with a grade three concussion. So i thought that as I'm just sitting at my house playing COD 4.2 I should clean my gear. I was thinking of putting my soft padded (no hard plastics) stuff including my xxxx pro gloves, the lining of my shins (xxxx), elbows, and possibly my shoulders in the wash then leave it out to dry. I'm too lazy to scrub my gear by hand, so what do you guys think? Safe to wash?

Last edited by hockeyray : November 16th, 2009 at 02:28 PM.