Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse  

Go Back   Hockey Talk - Inline & Ice Warehouse > Hockey Equipment Questions, Discussion & Reviews > Goalie
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Default Goalie

So my buddy is just starting out and wants to play some goal. He is looking to get some stuff prolly used and not break the bank as he needs everything.

Now me not knowing a thing about goalie equipment can't help to much, but the real question is what quality\how low to go before things are no longer providing the protection needed and starting to get unsafe?

He will be playing drop in and pick up games for a while before moving on to a rec beginner league in the future.
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM

I've got some gear I could sell him that wouldn't break the bank... I recommend trying someone else's gear at first just to see how he likes it.

and that due to a nuclear accident I may have more than 40 pairs of hands...

Trying something new: Join me on Twitter, TBLfan37. You can also find me on AIM via the same name.
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to playthehawkee

It's usually pretty easy to find used gear on Craigslist that's decently priced. Anything from your entry level stuff to a couple hundred dollar leg pads, etc.

I think Tour has a line of cheap goalie stuff that he could piece together if he wanted to get new stuff and see if he sticks with it.

But I don't have any experience with the stuff so I couldn't tell you how long it would last him or how long he could use it and still be 'safe'.
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM

As a father who had to pay for stuff for his son when he wanted to play goal, it's kind of a leap of faith unfortunately. But I didn't want him in any unsafe and inexpensive equipment just to save a few bucks. I think in adult league your talking a completely different story where guys can actually hit the puck quite hard. But I do think you get what you pay for. Might even shop the online vendors as many are blowing out brand new equipment for crazy low prices on clearence to make room for the the new model year stuff. I'll bet if he looks around hard enough he can get brand new stuff for what you can buy on Ebay, etc. I have a few sites that are my favorites to shop on.